These abbreviations that we always use are actually Latin. Some of the most commonly used ones are:
- e.g. (exempli gratia) - for the sake of example; we usually read this as 'for example'
- i.e. (id est) - 'id' means 'that' and 'est' means 'is'. Yes you're right. It means 'that is' (meaning ''which means'). Some people always confuse this with e.g., which has a totally different meaning.
- etc. (et cetera) - 'et' means 'and' and 'cetera' means 'the rest'. We know how it is used.....and we normally read this as 'exactra'
- a.m. (ante meridiem) - 'ante' means 'before' and 'meridiem' means 'midday', this is why we call 9 o'clock in the morning 9:00a.m.
- p.m. (post meridiem) - same as the previous one, but 'post' here means 'after' apparently
- et al. (et alii) - 'et' means 'and' and 'alii' means 'others'. This is similar to etc., but this is used for a list of names. For example when I study psychology we always have to use this word as a research was done by many researchers but they will only show the leading researcher when crediting them, for example Hofling et al.
- Q.E.D. (quod erat demonstrandum) - if you have studied mathematics you probably have come across this abbreviation which means 'what was to be demonstrated'
Currently I can only think of these most common ones. If there are any other common Latin abbreviations that we always come across please feel free to comment below.
Although Latin has already been classified as a dead language, I have always been quite enthusiastic about Latin ever since I knew its existence. In fact, many of our English words indirectly come from Latin words. Here are some extra Latin phrases that I like (not abbreviations):
- Carpe diem - seize the day (watch the film 'Dead Poets Society' if you haven't)
- Cogito ergo sum - I think therefore I am
- Audere est facere - To dare is to do
So when these words/phrases have their English form, why Latin? Nothing, it just sounds cool. I used to remember more Latin words than I do now....it's just simply an enjoyment of learning something others don't.
Cogito ergo sum! Love that one! Descartes FTW.
ReplyDelete